khajas are of two types ,short and round,another one is long and juicy. these long khajas are extremely delicious and lip smacking. the only difference is the shape. take a looks on round khajas ,i have preapared on rakhsha bandhan.the layers are long are looks very beautiful.
For dough preparation ::
- All purpose Flour 3cups
- Oil 3/4th cup (warm-for moyam )
- Salt 1/4th tsp
- Oil for deep frying
For greasing ::
- oil 4 tbsp
- all purpose flour 4 tbsp
For sugar syrup ::
- Sugar 2cup
- Water cup
- Cardamom powder 2tsp
METHOD OF PREPARATION ::
- In a bowl sieve flour ,salt and mix well with your hand. Make a well in the center and add warm oil ,rub the oil with the flour for 1 -2 minute.
- Add water to it and start kneading into a dough.
For khaja we need a hard dough so don’t over knead.
Cover with a wet cloth and give rest for 1 hour.
- After one hour start with making sugar syrup.
- In a wide pan add water ,sugar and cardamom powder ,let it boil and thickens. make a one string consistency sugar syrup.
- After one hour add oil and flour in a bowl and cream it with your hands. keep this aside. We will use it as a spread.
- In a wok heat oil for frying.
- Now take out the dough and divide it into three equal parts.
- Cover one part under the wet cloth and roll the another part as thin as possible on a floured surface.
- Spread the oil & flour mixture on the rolled dough and spread it with your finger tips.
- Now start rolling from one edges ensure that rolled should be tight.
- Apply little oil & flour mixture on the edges and seal it properly.
- Take a knife and start cutting from one side into ½” piece.
- Take each piece and rolled it lightly into long khajas.
- Check the oil it should not be too hot or smoking hot.it should be medium hot for getting a good quality khaja.
- Carefully place few pieces of khaja in hot oil and start disturbing oil by waving the oil.
- when you will leave the khajas in hot oil they will sink first,and gradually they will come up.then put another khaja piece to deep fry.
- Keep the flame low and fry till the khajas looks golden in colour.
- Take them out from oil and keep in a absorbent paper.
- Repeat with other prepared khajas.
- Check the sugar syrup before adding khaja.the sugar syrup should be warm.
- Add the fried khajas to the sugar syrup.and mix it with syrup.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes and take them out.
- Always keep the flame low while deep frying.
- Creating waving the oil tends to open the layers of the khajas..
- keep these in air tight container and enjoy for up to a month.