After the king of fruits, it is the season of beautiful, red plums. I picked them from nearest departmental store . They were placed in a wide wooden bowl and was looking very beautiful. I couldn’t stop myself to picking them .
Last year when I got fresh plums , I made eggless plum cake. That cake was a big hit and that is a no fail recipe. Though many recipes can be prepared with plums, like ghost aloo bukhara, plum chutney, plum crumble and many beverages can be made using fresh plum.
Wonderfully delicious and juicy Plums can be available year around, but they are at their best between May until Septembe.but here these are available only for one month. People hesitate to buy plums as they are unaware about this fruit. So whenever I saw these ,picked immediately and I always looking to make a good use of plum.
Plums are plentiful in minerals like potassium, fluoride and iron. Iron is required for red blood cell formation. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. Check out my easy plum cake recipe which will help you add the glorious plum to your go-to ingredient list this summer.
- All purpose flour – 1 & ½ cup
- Powder sugar – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Vegetable oil – ½ cup minus 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
- Dry ginger powder -1 /4th tsp
- Fresh plum slices – 15-17 slices
- Milk – 4 tbsp
- Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
- Salt – a generous pinch
METHOD OF PREPARATION::
- Preheat the oven at 170’c for 10 minutes.
- Grease a 8” cake tin with oil or lined with parchment paper.
- Sift together all purpose flour, salt, cinnamon powder, dry ginger powder , baking powder and baking soda into a large bowl. Sieve for 3 to 4 times. Keep aside.
- Whisk oil and powder sugar in low speed till the mixture seems creamy .
- Add yogurt and vanilla, beat for few second more.
- Finally add sifted flour and fold with a help of spatula.
- Add milk to get a smooth flowing consistency batter.
- Pour this batter on the greased tin , tap for 2-3 times so that bubbles can escape and the batter can set evenly.
- Arrange plum slices on the top, gently press these so that plum slices are jigged into batter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 170’c.
- Check with toothpick, it should comes out clean.
- Cool it and gently lift the parchment paper to take out the cake from the pan.
- Slice the cake , drizzle powder sugar on top, then serve.