Phool makhana is the name given to popped lotus seeds used in Indian cooking. Makhana are also called fox nuts or gorgon plants. The lotus seeds has the bitter center core and the outer membrane are removed and is puffed ,just like popcorn.
Extract from different parts of this water plant includes leaves,stem,root and seeds, reported to show different benefits.
The countries like India,Russia,Korea & Japan have been cultivating lotus seeds ,since many years. In india, Bihar is the largest producer of makhanas.
Makhanas are mainly cultivated for its edible seeds. Its round in shape and white in colour,seems like popcorn. This is commonly used to make delicious popcorn, in which you can add any additional flavors of your choice .Its very beneficial for overall health and suitable for all age groups.
Nowadays makhanas are popular among all for having good nutritional content. It’s excessively nutritive and fully organic non-cereal food. These seeds are low in fat and high in carbohydrates, good for kidneys, heart and diabetic friendly.
Apart from that these seeds have been used extensively in traditional oriental & Chinese medicines for their health benefits.
It’s a popular food during fasting. It’s also been used in religious rituals in india.In Bihar “makhane ki kheer” is offered to lord during worship. The snack made of makhana is not only healthy but light and digestible .it’s a good idea to introduce makhanas in daily meals in different ways.
It can be eaten raw,roasted,combined with vegetables ,dessert & soups.
i am sharing a easy recipe made out of makhans and cashew nuts.this curry can be prepared in many ways.i am giving it with a twist and making the the gravy rich.
- Lotus seeds or makhanas – 1 cup
- Cashew nuts – 1 cup
For gravy ::
- Onion – 1 medium
- Ginger garlic green chili past – 2 tsp
- Tomato puree – ½ cup
- Curd/yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Degi mirch powder – 3 tsp
- Black Pepper – 5-6 no
- Kastoori methi – 1tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Sugar – ¼ tsp
- Oil – for deep frying
For powdered masala ::
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Mace – a small piece
- Black cardamom – ½ no
- Cashew – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/4th inch
- Clove – 1 no
METHOD OF PREPARATION ::
- Make paste of the onion and keep aside.
- In a pan put cardamom, cinnamon, black cardamom ,cloves, mace and roast lightly .Ensure that not to over roast the masalas. Remove the masalas from the pan and cool it.
- Grind the masalas and powder it.
- Now heat oil in the same pan, deep fry the 2 tsp cashew nuts and mix it with dry masalas. Grind it with powdered masala along with 2 tbsp water.
- Add curd and blend it for anothe 3-4 second and keep this paste aside.
- In the same oil deep fry the 1 cup cashew nuts ,till the colour turns light brown.D’ont over fry the cashew nuts. Take those out of oil and keep aside.
- Now take out the excess oil,keeping only 3 tbsp in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds to the hot oil and allow them to splutter.
- Add coriander powder and 1 tsp of degi mirch powder,stir immediately.
- Add onion paste and fry till it turns brown in colour.this step is very important to get a nice red colour gravy.so wait till onions turns brown.
- Add ginger garlic green chili paste ,stir once, add salt and keep frying, till masala leaves side of the pan.
- In the mean time heat 1 tbsp of oil in another pan and roast the makhanas. Keep it in a bowl. Alternatively you can deep fry at the time of frying cashew nuts.
- At this point add tomato puree ,to the fried masala. give a nice mix.Add turmeric powder and degi mirch powder.
- Keep frying the masala .stop when the raw smell of masala gone.
- Add the paste of dry masalas & curd.Add kastoori methi too.
- Mix it nicely.after few minutes the masala will completely dry add 2 cups of water and let it boil.
- Add fried cashew nuts, roasted makhanas & sugar.
- Let it boil for 3-4 minutes. Adjust the seasoning as per your choice .remove from flame .
- Add freshly ground black pepper powder on top and serve hot with naan or parathas.
- The kastoori methi can be dry roasted and added to the gravy with pepper powder.
- I never deep fry the makhana i like the taste of roasted makahans.
- Few blanched green peas can be added withn this curry.