Butter masala dishes are originated from Punjab and its most popular recipes among all the cuisines of India. Paneer butter masala in all forms are almost a national favorite dish. Its the perfect combination of spices & creaminess. The rich creamy,buttery taste make this curry versatile.
but this curry is quiye different..Paneer masala is made out of paneer or cottage cheese.The cottage cheese cubes dunked in a rich,creamy,tomato based gravy.
Yes, tomato puree or tomato paste is the lifeline of this curry. so b e careful before choosing the tomatoes, pick the most red tomatoes to get the reddish colour the gravy.
This paneer masala dish goes very well with Indian breads.
- Paneer or cottage cheese 250 gram
- Onion 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste 2 tsp
- Tomato 2 medium no
- Garam masala ½ tsp
- Degi mirch powder 3tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 & 1/4th tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4th tsp
- Curd 1 tbsp
- Cream 1tbsp
- Cashew nut 5-6 no
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- kastoori methi 2 tsp
- butter 3tbsp
- sunflower oil 4tbsp
- salt as per taste
METHOD OF PREPARATION ::
- Cut the paneer into long strips or into cubes.
- Marinate the paneer with 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of red chili powder.
- Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Finely slice the onion . Make impression on the tomatoes and blanch them.
- Peel the skin from tomatoes, transfer them into a jar and grind them.tomato puree is ready.
- In a wok heat 3 tbsp of sunflower oil and fry the onion with little salt.
- Fry till the onion seems brown in colour.
- Add cashew nut and fry for few second.
- Take the entire mixture out if wok and cool them.add little water and grind into a smoothn paste.add curd and blend for a second.
- In the same wok add butter and another tbsp of oil.
- Add cumin seeds .when it pop add coriander powder and red chili powder.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir.
- Fry till raw smell of masala disappear.
- In the mean time heat another non stick pan and add 2tbsp butter ,let the butter melts.
- Add marinated paneer pieces and let the one side turn little brown in colour turn around and make the other side brown,take them out and keep aside for future use.
- Add onion cashew and curd mixture to the frying masala and mix for a minute.
- Add tomato puree and continue stirring. put all the dry masala like red chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and continue stirring.
- Cook till the mixture seems dry .
- Add 1 cup of water and give a nice mix so that masala mixes with the water.
- Lightly beat the cream and keep aside.
- Add paneer pieces and cream, boil till gravy thickens.
- Add roasted kastoori methi on top ,mix and switch off the gas.
- instead of making tomato puree at home,tinned tomato puree can be used.
- little sugar or jaggery can be added to avoid the sourness comes from tomato puree.
- pick red and well riped tomatoes.
- instead of degi mirch powder chili powder can be used.adjust the spiciness according to your tolerance.