Dhokla is a nutritious Indian food,from the state of gujarat. Dhokla is full of protein and makes a complete meal. In gujurat ,dhokla is served as a breakfast or as a main meal or as a snack. Dhokla is found in sweet shop as a snacks,they served it with some chutney. dhokla is also available in other parts of india .its popularity spread through out the india .
dhokla is my favorite snack dish .i love its fluffiness and its absolutely delicious,easy to digest and with less oil. That is the reason I take different ingredients as the base .i ve taken dalia as a base, this time.
Dalia or cracked wheat or broken wheat is itself healthy. It’s a par boil, coarse meal of wheat. Its carries a great deal of nutrition. Its part of diet meal and dhokla too is a part of diet because of steaming and carries less oil.
- Dalia 1/2 cup + ¼ cup
- Thick curd ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste ½ tsp
- Green chili paste 1tsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice ½ tbsp
- Fruit salt ¾ tsp or 1 small packate
- Oil as needed
- Salt 1 tsp
- Oil 1 tsp
- Mustard deeds 1 tsp
- Curry leaves 1 spring
- Hing a pinch
- Dry red chilli 1 no
- Green chilli 2 (slited)
- Sugar 1tsp
- Lemon juice ½ tbsp
- salt ¼ tsp
method of preparation::
- Wash and soak ¼ th cup Dalia in enough water for ½ an hour.
- After ½ an hour drain the soaked dalia completely and keep it in a bowl.
- Now heat a pan dry roast the rest of dalia i.e. 1/2cup dalia till its slightly changes the colour.
- Cool it and powder it in a mixer grinder.
- Now mix the powdered dalia with the soaked dalia . add curd, ginger garlic paste, green chili paste,salt,sugar mix it.
- Add enough warm water to make a thick ,little watery batter.(batter should be like idly batter consistency). Add oil to it and leave it for 3 hours.
- After 3 hour add water to a steamer ,close the lid and let water to boil .
- Grease the dhokla plate with little oil, keep aide.
- Check the batter if the batter seems thick add little warm water and adjust the consistency.
- Add lemon juice and eno (fruit salt) with it ,mix vigorously for few seconds. It will rise up a little.
- Transfer this batter to greased plate and spread evenly. Carefully Put this plate in steamer and close the lid.
- Leave it foe 15 -20 minutes till its done.
- Insert a knife of toothpick it should comes out clean,its shows the dhokla is cooked now.
- Take the dhokla plate out of the steamer and cool it completely.
- Heat a pan ad oil to it. When oil is hot enough add mustard seeds .
- Wait till mustard seeds stop spluttering add hing,dry red chili and green chili stir for a while add curry leaves .
- Stir add 4-5 tbsp of water.
- Add salt, sugar. Stir till sugar dissolves completely. Add lemon juice and switch off the flame.
- Pour this water on the top of prepared dalia with a help of spoon.finally add all the tempering on the dalia.
- Wait for 10 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve with green chutney.
- Adding whole dalia grains to powdered dalia will gave nice texture to the dhokla.
- It will be better to taste the batter before adding fruit salt to it. So that seasoning can be adjusted according to the taste.
- It’s recommended to use thick & fresh curd.