chom chom is a sweet dish from bengol. Its juicy and very delicious. Chom chom is usually prepared from Indian cottage cheese called chenna. Its cooked in light sugar syrup, and cooked until sugar syrup thickens and coats the cottage cheese balls.
Normally its served in three ways.after taking out from sugar syrup it can be rolled in powdered milk and then coconut.
For malai chom chom rabri is topped with chom chom. And the third one is stuffed chom chom, which I am going to prepare.
- For cottage cheese balls :
1.Full fat milk 1litre
2.Lemon juice 2tbsp
3.Powdered sugar 1tbsp
- For sugar Syrup ::
3.Cardamom powder 1/2tsp
- For mawa :
1.milk powder 1/4th cup
METHOD OF PREPARATION ::
1. Add milk powder, milk and oil with a help of a spoon.
2. Microwave it for 1minute.
3. Take it out and mix it again.
4. Then again microwave it for 40 second.
5. If its not done then mix and microwave it for 10 second more.
procedure To make chenna.
1. Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan stirring continuously. When milk started boiling keep the flame low and Remove the cream forms above the milk.
2. Switch off the flame and Add lemon juice, stir to mix well. Milk will curdle and the whey will begin to split.
3. Now strain the cottage cheese in a cheese cloth lined above the strainer.wash it with under tap water. It will remove the smell of lemon juice.
4. Tie the cheese cloth and squeeze as much as possible to drain the excess water. Leave it for an hour, allow the water drained completely.
5. Now take the prepared cottage cheese, and transfer it to a clean kitchen counter, add powdered sugar and knead it for 10minutes until all the cottage cheese comes together to forms a dough and palms looks oily.
6. Divide it into equal size balls. You ll get 10 big medium sized balls and shape them like bullet.
8. In a wide pan add water, sugar, cardamom powder and boil till sugar melts.
9. Carefully put the prepared cottage cheese balls into the sugar syrup.
* There should be enough space so that cottages cheese balls will expand so take a wide pan.
10. Close the pan with a lid and keep the flame high and wait for sometime. When sugar syrup begains to boil lower the flame and cook till 30-40 minutes.
11. The sugar syrup will be thick and will coats the prepared Chom chom.
12.carefully take them out from. Sugar syrup and keep it in a plate.
13. Knead the prepared mawa with cardamom powder. And keep aside. If the mawa feels hard microwave it for 20seconds.
14. Now cut the prepared chom chom from middle. And stuffed with mawa mixture.
15. You can cut the chom chom both vertically and horizontally.
16. Sprinkle chopped nuts and serve.
1. For curdling the milk vinegar, whey or curd can be added.
2. Afrer straining the paneer, washing is necessary to rinse off the lemon smell.
3. Tie the paneer in cheese cloth until the water drains out. You too can keep this above a colander and keep a heavy thing on it to drain the excess water.
4. Kneading part is very important to get a good quality Chom chom. If you want few food colour can be added with the chenna.
5 . At the time of forming balls be very careful, if there will be a single crack the cottage cheese balls.